More than 45 percent of respondents In an American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry survey agreed that a smile is a person’s most attractive feature regardless of age. But what if you are unhappy with your smile? How can you get a perfect smile with cosmetic dentistry?
How Can You Get a Perfect Smile with Cosmetic Dentistry?
You can get a perfect smile with cosmetic dentistry by identifying what you do and do not like about your smile and consulting with a skilled cosmetic dentist who can explain how to achieve your goals. Whether the improvements you want are complex or straightforward, a cosmetic dentist can create a treatment plan to give you a beautiful smile.
How Do General Dentists and Cosmetic Dentists Differ?
General and cosmetic dentists receive training in dental school on how to fix smiles. But genuine cosmetic dentists do not limit their training to dental school.
Cosmetic dentists have these characteristics:
- Show deep interest in the art and science of creating beautiful smile makeovers
- Pursue post-graduate training to learn which tools, techniques, and materials will give you healthy, natural-looking results
- Maintain a career-long commitment to continuing education and improving their skills
- Have an artistic eye for creating beautiful smiles
What Types of Issues Does Cosmetic Dentistry Improve?
Cosmetic dentistry can improve tooth color, shape, size, and damage. We will discuss seven concerns about teeth and how cosmetic dentistry can help.
1. Whiten Your Teeth
Teeth whitening is a fast way that cosmetic dentistry can improve your smile, but it does not work on all teeth. The bleaching gel can make some stains worse. The American Dental Association cautions that gray and brown teeth stains may get minimal improvement from teeth whitening. But a cosmetic dentist will determine the cause of your teeth stains and recommend effective treatment.
2. Correct Chipped Teeth
Chipped teeth may be the only correction needed to get your perfect smile. Depending on the location and size of the chips, dental bonding or porcelain veneers can restore teeth so well that no one can tell they were chipped.
- Dental bonding for chipped teeth – A cosmetic dentist blends shades of dental composite to match your natural tooth color and applies the bonding by hand. After shaping and hardening dental bonding, your cosmetic dentist will polish it to a natural gloss.
- Porcelain veneers for chipped teeth – Custom veneers cover the fronts of teeth only. Cosmetic dentists collaborate with a skilled ceramist to make them.
3. Smooth Jagged Teeth Edges
A cosmetic dentist can smooth jagged teeth edges with enameloplasty (tooth contouring) or dental bonding. After examining the extent of the issue and the condition of your teeth, the dentist will explain your options, which may include:
- Enameloplasty – Remove tiny amounts of tooth enamel to reshape your teeth
- Dental bonding – Apply dental composite to fill in the jagged tooth edges
4. Make Small Teeth Larger
The treatment that a cosmetic dentist uses to make small teeth larger depends on the cause of your small teeth. Your procedure may include:
- Gum contouring – Sometimes, a gummy smile can make your teeth look small. A cosmetic dentist can use laser technology to trim and shape your gums to make your teeth look more prominent.
- Dental bonding – Applying dental bonding by hand, a cosmetic dentist can perfectly match your natural teeth shade and make them larger. The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry confirms that dental bonding is more cost-effective than porcelain veneers, yet it does not last as long.
- Porcelain veneers – Placing custom veneers over the fronts of your teeth can enlarge them.
5. Make Large Teeth Smaller
If you want to make large teeth smaller, after an examination, a cosmetic dentist might recommend these options:
- Trimming – Conservatively trimming teeth edges or sides can make them look smaller.
- Porcelain veneers – When teeth require extensive trimming, your cosmetic dentist may use custom porcelain veneers
- Orthodontics – Aligning your front teeth with others can improve their overall appearance.
6. Close Teeth Gaps
Depending on the size of the gaps between your teeth, dental bonding, porcelain veneers, or orthodontic treatment may be the solution.
- Dental bonding – Cosmetic dentists use bonding to close small spaces between teeth.
- Porcelain veneers – You may need veneers to close gaps and adjust the size of nearby teeth.
- Orthodontic treatment – Braces or Invisalign may work best for wide gaps or spaces.
7. Improve Tooth Shape
If perfecting your smile includes reshaping your teeth, your dentist may recommend dental bonding or porcelain veneers.
- Dental bonding – Cosmetic dentists blend composite to reshape your teeth and match the color and characteristics of adjacent teeth.
- Porcelain veneers – Ultra-thin custom shells of porcelain can correct misshaped teeth.
Cosmetic dentistry can give you a perfect smile by improving aspects of your smile that you do not like. A cosmetic dentist can explain which treatments will correct the imperfections in your smile and the results you can expect. Select a dentist with a commitment to continual cosmetic dentistry training.
Schedule a Cosmetic Dentistry Consultation
If you want to know which options a cosmetic dentist might use to give you a perfect smile, schedule a consultation with Dr. Mo Saleh of Vancouver, Washington. Dr. Saleh has advanced cosmetic dentistry training. He will listen to your goals and explain your options for reaching them. Visit the affordable cosmetic dentistry fee guide on his website. Schedule a consultation today.