All-on-4® dental implants are a complete arch of replacement teeth anchored by four dental implants. Nobel Biocare trademarked the All-on-4 technique, which angles implants in your jawbone to increase support for denture teeth. Dentists often use All-on-4 implants for patients with low bone volume who might otherwise need bone grafting. All-on-6 implants use the same technique with six implants instead of four.
Are All-on-4 Implants Removable?
You cannot remove All-on-4 dental implants because they are fixed implant dentures. Your dentist screws your denture onto the implants. And only your dentist can unscrew the denture as needed.
When might a dentist remove your fixed implant denture?
- Examine your oral tissue beneath the denture
- Replace your denture every ten to fifteen years
- Check the implants to ensure they are in good condition
How Do Removable Implant Dentures and All-on-4 Compare?
Removable implant dentures and All-on-4 attach to dental implants anchored in your bone. Both systems require a denture base modified to attach to dental implants. The Academy of Osseointegration confirms that an upper implant denture often requires more implants than a lower denture due to jaw anatomy.
But how do removable and fixed implant dentures differ?
Removable implant dentures
A removable implant denture is a prosthesis supported by dental implants. But you can remove it yourself. Your dentist will explain how to attach or remove your denture safely.
- Number of implants – Two to six
- Implant position – Vertical
- Bone grafting – May be required
- Maintenance – Snap or clip on and off by you
All-on-4 implant dentures
All-on-4 implant dentures are fixed—or screwed on. Only your dentist can attach the denture to the implants.
- Number of implants – Four to six
- Implant position – Angled to increase denture support
- Bone grafting – Usually not required
- Maintenance – Screwed on or off by your dentist
How Do You Clean All-on-4 Implants If You Cannot Remove Them?
If you choose All-on-4 implants, you will clean them as you would natural teeth.
- Use a soft manual or electric toothbrush.
- Only brush with non-abrasive toothpaste to avoid scratching denture teeth.
- Floss between your denture teeth.
- Rinse your mouth with a water flosser to flush out debris.
- Keep your exam, cleaning, and maintenance appointments with your dentist.
Are You a Candidate for All-on-4 Implants?
You may be a candidate for All-on-4 implants if you have good medical and oral health. But an implant dentist must complete an exam and take a 3-D cone-beam x-ray to determine whether you qualify. In general, you are a candidate if the following is true about you:
- Are healthy enough for surgery
- Control any medical conditions that cause inflammation, such as diabetes, that you have
- Are a non-smoker
- Have enough jawbone volume to support All-on-4
- Understand the benefits and risks of All-on-4
- Agree to maintain excellent oral hygiene for healthy implant overdentures
All-on-4 implants are not removable. But they may be an option if you have areas of low jawbone volume that might otherwise require bone grafts. All-on-4 improves your quality of life with fixed implant dentures that will last for years.
If you live in the Vancouver, Washington, area and are interested in All-on-4 dental implants or other options for full-mouth dental implants, contact Vista Dental. Dr. Mo Saleh is a Fellow of implant dentistry who offers high-quality dental implants and makes them affordable. Call us today or complete our appointment request form for a consultation.