Is there something about your smile you don’t like—such as the shape, size, or color of your teeth? A smile makeover is cosmetic dentistry to improve the imperfections in your smile, transform it, and help you love it. But a smile makeover isn’t just for looks. A beautiful, healthy smile makes it easier to smile, which benefits you. According to a University of West Alabama Psychology and Counseling News article, studies show that smiling makes us more approachable, releases positive hormones, and improves relationships.
A cosmetic dentist will customize treatment recommendations for your smile makeover based on the condition of your teeth and your goals. After all, what makes your smile beautiful is unique to your personality, preferences, and facial features. We will discuss eight improvements a smile makeover can achieve and the techniques a dentist may use to rejuvenate your smile.
What Does a Smile Makeover Include?
Your smile makeover may include cosmetic dentistry procedures that restore the health and appearance of your teeth and gums. Explore ways a smile makeover can enhance your smile.
1. Tooth Condition
A cosmetic dentist will ensure your teeth are healthy before completing aesthetic procedures for your smile makeover. Your natural teeth are the foundation for dental restorations and must be healthy for your smile transformation. A dentist will perform a comprehensive exam to look for and treat these concerns:
- Gum disease
- Other oral diseases
2. Tooth Color
If your teeth are stained or discolored, a cosmetic dentist will examine them to determine the cause of the stains. Some teeth stains are only on the surface, while others are deeply embedded. Causes of tooth discoloration include:
- Dental materials
- Poor oral hygiene habits
- Staining foods and beverages, such as coffee, tea, or berries
- Tobacco use
3. Tooth Shape
Cosmetic tooth reshaping corrects minor imperfections in one or several teeth. You may choose to improve your tooth shape for these reasons:
- Decrease or increase roundness
- Decrease or increase squareness
- Reshape peg laterals
- Smooth unevenness
- Soften pointy teeth
4. Tooth Size
A smile makeover can harmonize tooth shape. A skilled cosmetic dentist will explain which procedures can resolve these concerns about your teeth:
- Too long
- Too short
- Too small
- Too large
5. Tooth Damage
Damaged teeth affect your smile’s health and appearance. Restoring chipped, fractured, or worn teeth is vital for your smile makeover. Causes of tooth damage include:
- Bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Poor oral hygiene
- Tobacco use
6. Tooth Alignment
The location and extent of misalignment will determine which cosmetic procedures a dentist will include for your smile makeover. During a consultation, a dentist will explain which treatments will fulfill these requirements:
- Close gaps
- Correct overlaps
- Resolve mild misalignment
7. Tooth Replacement
A smile makeover is incomplete without replacing missing teeth. A skilled cosmetic dentist will explain treatment options for the following:
- One missing tooth
- Multiple missing teeth
- All your upper or lower teeth
8. Gum Enhancement
Your gums frame your smile, and cosmetic dentistry can balance how gum tissue surrounds your teeth. It resolves concerns like these:
- Uneven gums
- Gummy smile
- Receding gums
What Are the Smile Makeover Procedures?
Your cosmetic dentist will personalize your smile makeover. After a comprehensive exam, x-rays, and a review of your medical and dental histories, your treatment plan may include one or more of the following procedures:
- Dental crowns – A crown (cap) covers, protects, and restores a damaged or worn tooth from the gumline to the crown.
- Dental implants – Artificial tooth roots replace missing teeth. Your dentist will attach dental crowns or a denture to implants.
- Direct dental bonding – Skilled cosmetic dentists blend composites that match your tooth shade to conceal minor gaps, chips, or discoloration.
- Gum contouring – A dental laser sculpts your gums to remove excess tissue and complement your teeth.
- Gum graft – Fill in receding gums with graft and help your teeth look healthy and younger.
- Porcelain veneers – Custom-made porcelain shells cover the fronts of your teeth to improve their shape, color, or imperfections.
- Teeth whitening – Refresh and brighten your smile, making it look younger and more appealing.
- Tooth-colored fillings – Laugh or smile broadly without anyone noticing your fillings because they match your tooth shade.
Are You Ready for a Smile Makeover?
Consult an advanced cosmetic dentist if you are ready for a smile makeover. Post-graduate training helps dental professionals understand the tools and techniques required to achieve healthy, natural-looking results. You will discuss your smile goals during the consultation, and the dentist will explain treatment methods.
A smile makeover uses cosmetic dentistry to conceal imperfections in your teeth. A dentist may use a combination of treatments to restore your smile’s health and beauty.
Request a Smile Makeover Consultation
In Vancouver, Washington, cosmetic dentist Dr. Mo Saleh participates in over 100 hours of training yearly to create healthy, natural-looking smiles. He is a patient listener who will seek to understand your concerns and explain how cosmetic dentistry can help you achieve an attractive smile. Request a consultation today.